A look back at a very unusual year
Well I don’t think anyone would have predicted what an unusual year 2020 would prove to be. Families, schools, businesses, clubs and institutions were all affected by Covid-19 and our worlds all changed.
Concept Eight had to embrace a new way of working and the team did an excellent job in trying to carry on with the quality service we strive to offer while also ensuring a sense of being a unified team. Remote working was embraced and we all rolled our sleeves up and got down to the business of designing beautiful homes.
And 2020 delivered on so many fronts, with the busiest year we have ever had and a record number of high quality projects being handed over to happy clients.
We will list out 20 key projects for 2020.
1. KESWICK ROAD – The year started strongly with the completion of our flagship new build apartment scheme in Putney. This 4 storey luxury development was well received when the units went on the market and all 9 apartments were snapped up within 2 months. It remains an iconic building on a very busy road in Putney, and one we feel particularly proud of, having undertaken all stages of this project.
2. RIVERSIDE HOUSE – This gem of a project was handed over to our clients in the summer of 2020. The new build contemporary house that sits on the banks of the River Wey has been designed to make the most of the rural views out while offering stunning internal spaces. The key feature is the nearly 2 story high sliding doors at the centre of the house.
3. GLASS GABLES – Although the bulk of this luxury new build house was built in 2019, the finishing touches were completed in 2020. The 3 storey newbuild mansion on a sloping site made the most of the private garden setting with a striking triple height atrium as you entered the house. Open plan living at the back connected the house to the garden.
4. PRINT MAKERS PLACE – Again another project that was finished a year earlier but had the final touches completed in 2020. This contemporary bungalow was designed to create a house that opened up off the garden with a studio in one wing and the family bedrooms in the other.
5. CRANLEY HOUSE – Another contemporary bungalow which was designed to make the most of the rural views and spectacular sunsets enjoyed in this location. The Glulam structure with plenty of glass made the house and garden connect to give a larger sense of space.
6. ASHCOMBE STREET – A new build terrace house in Fulham included a façade retention scheme with a new basement dig under the house and then 4 new floors built up in what was a 2 storey house. At the back an intimate rear garden complete with green wall and walk over glass.
7. EDGEMONT HOUSE – A significant remodel and extension to a small unmodernised house on a large plot. We more than doubled the house and completely changed its appearance, with a striking elegant classic crisp rendered design.
8. CHELWOOD APARTMENTS – This was a luxury apartment fitout in central London. The lateral apartment had windows to both sides and included a balcony. Internally we gutted it back to the shell and rebuilt the entire property. Use of feature lighting and luxury joinery and finishes throughout has offered our international clients a fantastic London pad.
9. DARTNELL PARK – A significant remodel and extension to a detached period house that makes the most of the garden while retaining its period charm. The inside has been fully interior designed with panelled walls, feature lighting and a mixture of modern glazing with traditional joinery in the same space.
10. GARDEN VIEWS – A contemporary extension to a detached house, which includes a new social kitchen and boot room with a new master suite on the first floor. We also remodelled the old kitchen into a wonderful library room with a formal dining room. The house includes a feature stair connecting the 2 floors and slim framed sliding doors to the garden.
11. PITT TOWERS – Again a project that was predominantly finished previously had had the final touches completed in 2020. This period coach house was extended to be more than twice the size of the original house. The layout has been developed to change the orientation of the house so it finally engaged with the long walled garden that it previously did not connect with. A new outdoor living area has been created to make the most of the house and its setting.
12. GLASS SLOT HOUSE – A full remodel and extension to a period house, which has transformed it beyond recognition internally. At the centre of the house is a new feature stair that winds its way up over 3 floors. At the back is a new feature kitchen with a glass slot framing key garden features. Externally we have created a screened off outdoor living area complete with outdoor fireplace.
13. ENNESMORE MEWS – A façade retention double mews house in central London. The property set in a challenging site has been painstakingly redeveloped with a new full sized basement and 4 floors of accommodation which has resulted in doubling up of the property. The central feature is the 4 storey open tread structural glass stair and back lit alabaster feature that runs all the way from the basement up to the top floor.
14. ATRIUM HOUSE – The mega project which has been on site for a year and a half was concluded in the summer of 2020. The striking home offered our clients luxury accommodation over 3 floors as well as a bespoke garage. At the heart of the house is a triple height atrium which brings natural light deep into the home.
15. CASTLE ROAD – This period house has been carefully remodelled and extended to create a house that boasts rich period features while having a very modern layout. The striking feature is the single storey rear extension with its vertical herringbone brickwork and oversized Crittal doors.
16. SETTRINGTON ROAD – This was a comprehensive remodel and limited extension to a period Fulham terrace. Our clients who downsized from a country estate to live near her daughter wanted an easy to use home that had all that she needed in a compact footprint. We designed and managed the whole process.
17. KENWOD DRIVE – This was a full remodel and extension to a detached house that was previously extended. We completely rearranged the layout with a new feature entrance and stair with formal living at the front and informal family accommodation to the back.
18. HARRINGTON GARDENS – This was a garden apartment over 2 floors in a London mansion block. The luxury duplex property has been fully remodelled and extended around the lower ground floor lightwell with an open plan layout internally on the ground floor. The house has been fully interior designed throughout.
19. FIRLANDS – A contemporary timber clad rear extension with covered outdoor living area serving a detached family home next to greenbelt woodland. This house has been gutted internally with a new social kitchen connecting to the outdoor kitchen for our client who loves to cook.
20. SIDNEY ROAD – Our final project is another full house remodel which transformed a tired detached house that was previously extended badly. We significantly extended the house and created a new feature entrance and stair with a multi level rear living area and a feature finned siding doors to the back